FAQ: What is included on the Texas real estate licensing exam?
The Texas licensing exam consists of a national portion and a state law portion.
The national portion of the exam includes 80 questions plus 5 preset items (which are not counted toward your score). The 80 scored questions are broken down into the following topics:
- Real property characteristics, legal descriptions, and property use - 8 questions
- Forms of ownership, transfer, and recording of title - 7 questions
- Property value and appraisal - 7 questions
- Real estate contracts and agency - 16 questions
- Real estate practice - 18 questions
- Property disclosures and environmental issues - 6 questions
- Financing and settlement - 10 questions
- Real estate math calculations - 8 questions
The state law portion of the exam includes 30 questions pus 10 present items. The 30 scored questions are broken down into the following topics:
- Commission duties and powers - 2 questions
- Licensing - 2 questions
- Standards of conduct - 7 questions
- Agency / brokerage - 8 questions
- Contracts - 7 questions
- Special topics - 4 questions
The Texas Candidate Handbook breaks down each of these topic areas into more detail, which is very beneficial when it comes time to study for the exam.