Sponsor ID #: S0615
What can you do with a California real estate salesperson license?
- According to the California real estate license requirements, as per the California Real Estate Law, the State requires you to have a real estate salesperson’s or broker’s license in order to sell or rent real estate in California and earn a commission in the process.
- A real estate salesperson’s license will allow you to sell or lease/rent real estate anywhere in the State.
- A licensee can sell or lease any type of real estate (residential, commercial, etc).
- Real estate salespersons must work under a sponsoring broker.
Hear About RealEstateU’s Recent Success Stories
How to Get Your California Real Estate Salesperson License?
General California Real Estate License Requirements
- Must be at least 18 years of age.
- A high school diploma or GED is not required to apply for a real estate license.
- Both California residents and non-residents can obtain a license. Click here to learn more about Out-of-State Applicants.
- Must be honest and truthful. Please note that the State requires an applicant to disclose any criminal violations or disciplinary action when applying for a license. For more information, see the following documents: Avoid Potential Denial of Your License Application and Application Eligibility Information.
- In order to apply for the California State real estate salesperson exam, you must first complete 135 hours of approved education, which is broken down into 3, 45-hour courses.
Here is a list of the required courses and elective courses:
- Real Estate Principles – 45 hours (required)
- Real Estate Practice – 45 hours (required)
- One elective course – 45 hours
- Each course includes a final exam.
- After passing the final exam for each course, you will receive a Course Completion Certificate from the school, which you will later submit as part of your State Exam application (see Step #2).
Real Estate Principles (45 hours)
Real Estate Practice (45 hours)
Legal Aspects (45 hours)
Examination Schedule Notice:
- Once your Exam Application is received and processed (click here for current processing times), you will receive an Examination Schedule Notice from the DRE, which includes the location, date and time of your exam.
- The applicant has up to 2 years to take the State exam from the date the Exam Application is filed.
- The exam consists of 150 multiple-choice questions, with a passing grade of 70%.
- There is a 3 hour time limit for the exam.
- If you take the exam in an electronic format, you will see your results immediately. If you take the exam in a written format, it may take up to 7 business days to see your results.
- After passing the State exam, you will receive a Salesperson License Application.
- Get fingerprinted at a live scan fingerprint service provider. There is a $49 finger fingerprinting fee, which is paid to the live scan fingerprint service provider.
- Complete the application and mail back to the State (you have up to one year after passing the State exam to complete the application).
- Pay the $245 application fee (paid to the DRE).
- Once your application is received and approved, your salesperson license will be mailed to your sponsoring broker. If you do not have a sponsoring broker, your license will be mailed to you as a non-working status.
Congratulations, you satisfied the California real estate license requirements and now you are a licensed California real estate salesperson!
General Information About the Course and California Real Estate License Requirements
The RealEstateU Online California Real Estate Salesperson Course Bundle Includes:
- Three (3) 45-hour Online Audio Courses, which satisfies the California real estate license requirements (135-hour education requirement):
- 45-hour Online Real Estate Principles Course
- 45-hour Online Real Estate Practice Course
- 45-hour Online Legal Aspects of Real Estate Course
- Each course includes a downloadable PDF workbook, downloadable infographics, downloadable supporting documents booklet, and a downloadable course glossary.
- Orientation chapter: each course starts with an orientation, which serves as an introduction to the course.
- 15 course chapters: each chapter includes a series of audio lectures
- Chapter quiz: each chapter ends with a 30 question multiple-choice quiz. You must answer at least 70% of the questions correctly in order to pass.
- Course final exam: once you complete chapter 15, you will advance to the course final exam.
Course Final Exam
Each course final exam is taken online.
Each final exam consists of the following:
- 100 multiple-choice questions
- You must answer at least 60 questions correctly (60%) in order to pass
- There is a 3 hour (180 minutes) time limit
- The exam is open book, which means you can use any textbook, your course notes, or the course glossary when taking the exam
- You must wait at least 18 days from the start date of the course before being able to access the course final exam. This is a State requirement.
Required Course Completion Time
1 course: 2-1/2 weeks
2 courses: 5 weeks
3 courses: 7-1/2 weeks
* You must complete all three courses (including the final exams) within 12 months of purchasing the course bundle.
CalDRE Disclaimer Statement
Online Evaluation Statement
A course and instructor evaluation is available on the California Department of Real Estate (CalDRE) website at www.dre.ca.gov
Access this form by typing in “RE 318A” in the search box located in the upper right corner of the home page.